At West Acton Primary School we encourage children and parents to travel to school by cycling, scooting and walking wherever possible.
Aims of Active Travel are to:
- Encourage healthier lifestyles by walking, scooting and cycling;
- Improve safety for pedestrians, cyclists, children on scooters and drivers;
- Reduce Congestion around the school;
- Reduce carbon emissions from vehicles in and around West Acton Primary School.
Some of the benefits of active travel:
- Being active on the way to school leads to more awake and alert pupils in the classroom;
- Children need at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day. The journey to and from school is an ideal time for children to engage in physical activity;
- Walking / scooting and cycling to school are great ways to help pupils become familiar with their local environment;
- Walking, scooting and cycling helps improve air quality and the local environment around their schools by removing the number of cars around the school gate;
- Reducing car use and congestion around the school gates increases pupil safety and reduces harmful toxic fumes.
For the well- being of our children, we expect parents and carers to:
- Encourage their child to walk to school whenever possible;
- Encourage their child to take up opportunities to develop their competence and confidence in cycling or scooting;
- Consider cycling, scooting and walking with their child on the school run; possibly joining with other families as a ‘cycle train’;
- Provide their child with equipment such as high-visibility clothing, lights, a lock and essentially a cycle helmet as appropriate;
- Ensure that the bicycles and scooters ridden to school are roadworthy and regularly maintained;
- Consider your child’s competency to walk to and from school independently and complete the walk to school register.
- Consider your child’s competency to cycle or scoot to school independently and let the school know. The decision rests with the parents.
- Please check that your home insurance covers for bike or scooter loss or damage
ACTIVE TRAVEL POLICY